Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Looking for a new stereo receiver

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jerry Horne's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2007
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am looking at buying a new stereo receiver and would like some opinions on what brand and model to buy. I currently have a Onkyo 100 watt straight FM receiver. My speakers are stock Model 19's and also have 2 sets of Valencies that I use. The music that I enjoy is mostly 50's 60's oldies from cd's and satellite radio. Price range would like to stay around $500 to $600 range. Will enjoy reading your replys and Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Considering your music preferences, a tube receiver would be best, but you won't find one worth owning with your budget AFAIK. I've been researching/auditioning HT receivers with ~the same budget lately to drive my 511/515s and so far it's been an exercise in futility. forums

    FWIW, this was an eye opening 'shootout', so maybe a digital one is the way to go: http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    GM, Thank you for posting a great link.

    There's nothing like a truly blind comparison to demonstrate the difference between high priced hype and honest competent performance.

    Very glad i saw this before i took the Sonic Impact plunge.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    You're welcome!

    I agree that separates 'rule', but $600 apparent doesn't buy you a good enough system for hi-res HE speakers.

    I'd read/heard lots of good things about the Panny & JVC too and they did sound good driving some inexpensive ~fullrange driver speakers once loaded down a little with some series resistance, but when I loaded them down with 16 ohms their dynamic headroom went the way of the Dodo bird. forums Might as well been driving them with a flea power amp, so the quest continues.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had been driving my 19's with an old Yamaha P2200 pro amp that I bought new in about 1979. (My 19's are 1978's) I upgraded to a Yamaha PC2200M a few years ago and am very happy with the extra punch - I think the P2200 may have gotten a bit tired over the years. It definately is lacking a bit in the high freq range compared to the PC2200M.

    I used a Stewart "World" amp on loan a few years ago and thought it worked well. Very dynamic.

    Been thinking of upgrading to a Crown K2, but now with the info I see here on this board of the Behringer amps, I may look into one of those first.

    I think I would forget about a receiver and go with an amp/preamp combo. Seems like there are endless options on worthy power amplifiers and the extra power that is available offer lots of "headroom"! forums

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Several pals are using Panasonic and JVC chipamp receivers and the damned things sound very good. They're not stereo but multichannel but they're cheap and the extra channels of amplification can be used for bi-amping.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Jerry Horne's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2007
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM, I enjoyed reading the link you posted and found it to be very informing. It just shows that the most expensive is not always the best. Very good reading and thanks. Carl Bill?s suggestion on going to amp & pre amp set sounds good. But what would a middle of the road set up like that cost if you were not worried about it? I just want a system that will really bring the model 19?s to life with out breaking the bank. Thanks again for everyone?s input

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not sure about middle of the road new stuff, but I have Yamaha C-70 and C-50 preamps. Happy with the sound and functionality. Not low end at all when new (1980), but lots of stuff way more expensive.

    The Behringer amp (EP2500?) is available on-line for under $400.00 for the higher power unit. I would think you could find a decent preamplifier used for $200 or better. All depends on how you view used electronics. I have gotten some great deals and also been stung on epay.

    Still leaves you without a tuner, but I have seen decent used tuners for $20.00 - I bought a used Yamaha T-1 a few years ago for the "barn" stereo for about $25.00. Have a T-80 on the C-70.

    Separate amps also allow for much easier bi-amplifing if you ever decide to try that. Lots of flexability.

    Hope you find something you will enjoy.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi. I run my model 19's with a Sansui G9000. An exellent combo for any type of music. Reciever at 160 wpc has ample power. really nice amp section on this 1978 vintage piece.
    33

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    im in the same boat..it seems. ive been looking at the carver stuff, their preamps have tuners built in. i just wish i knew what sonic holigrophy was. or for that matter, magnetic power feild amps. i run a jvc preamp now but one channel is intermitent, at higher volumes , i fear for my speakers going on and off. i run my preamp into a mixer, or two, ive a splitter mixer as well.. then into the amps, either straight thru or thru a rane crossover, as ive several sets of altecs in my living room. made it to 122 db's last night...hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.